Sunday 27 October 2019

13. A Typical Superfood Food Shop

Food is a weekly expense that represents a fair portion of your income. So you need to make the budget stretch but at the same time, find quality nutritious ingredients that you can make into meals.

I have just been out shopping with no particular focus. These are the ingredients that I just naturally purchase.

 I target vegetarian Superfoods, 'nutritionally dense foods', even though I would not class myself as a vegetarian.



At at October 2019 - This was $150 NZD (74 GBP) of shopping

This will need another $100 NZD (50 GBP) of shopping to feed three adults for a week.

My focus on meal planning is to have a substantial lunch, and a filling dinner. There are no fancy frills like deserts or starters. It's just the basic requirements to deliver healthy foods. I have bought porridge for those times when someone wants a breakfast and sprouted whole grain bread as a 'health' alternative to the usual rubbish bread.

Things To Note

I have linked a article to each item for additional information.

A

Gherkins (Superfood) are great for adding flavour to a salad. Each baby gherkins will deliver about 6% of your daily Vitamin K requirements, reduce blood pressure, and lots of other benefits. Don't overdo them though. 

Kiwifruit (Superfood) I add them to smoothies by: a) Washing them always b) Chop the ends off c) Keep the skin on (huge dietary fiber benefits)

Pickled Onions (Superfood) and add another zest of flavour to your meals.

Cherry Tomatoes (Superfood) add colour to your salads and because they are small, you don't need to chop them. This preserves their nutritional value longer.

B

A2 Full Cream Milk I personally avoid milk. Why? 1. It is expensive 2. I am a human and not a cow so why would I drink cows milk for health? . Even fully grown cows do not drink milk. There appears to be no evidence to support the claims made by milk companies that milk is healthy for you. If I do drink milk it is A2 for no particular reason. But I do not drink low fat milk under any circumstances. I will do a write up about milk later.

Yogurt (Superfood) Only buy 'Live and Active' cultures. Feed your gut with good bacteria for improved digestion, immunity and rendering of nutrition from food. Make it yourself and make sure there is minimal sugar.

Hummus (Superfood) Use as a spread or a dip for celery or rice crackers. Huge health benefits.

Olives (Superfood) Make sure to get the pitted ones (Seeds out) or you can easily crack a tooth.

C

Lemon (Superfood) I cannot say enough about lemons. I buy this pack from time to time as it is more efficient. Add lemon to mineral water to increase the benefits of drinking water and to also add flavour to the drink.

D

Free Range Chicken (Superfood) Free range is the minimum requirements. NEVER go for barn or cage chickens as they are not a superfood and it is an inhumane treatment of animals.

Wholegrain Oats (Superfood) If you need to have breakfast you may like to try oats. The benefits are significant. Be careful what you use as a topping though. Cranberries are a sweet treat to use on them as well as a small dab of honey.

Peanut Butter (Superfood) You can just have a spoon full or place it on a rice cracker. A great treat that will not cause you to gain weight :)

Kale (Superfood) Just introduce this to your family gently. It is not the tastiest of greens but it is super healthy. Chop it up and mix it in to spinach.

E

Red Onions (Superfood) Try to get spray free or organic as onions are one of the foods that can absorb herbicide sprays. 

Organic/Free Range Eggs (Superfood) Don't skimp on eggs. There is no comparison between caged eggs and free range, they are two totally different things.

Spinach (Superfood) The base of every good salad. Forget lettuce. Look for leaves that are dark green. I have bought the baby leaf variety for convenience. The full stem variety is apparently better for you but is not as convenient.

Honey (Superfood) But not the 'sugar added kind'. Honey is the only sweetener I personally recognise but it is still sugar. The promoted benefits of sugar are not strong enough for me to accept it as a food I eat. 

Broccoli (Superfood) Apparently improves testosterone levels.

F

Mushrooms (Superfood)

Sunflower Seeds (Superfood)

Kumara (Superfood) Kumara, it is the ultimate vegetable and replacement to the common potato. 
The link I have posted her is to 127 Kgs where Shane went from 127 Kgs to slim. Nice :)

Cranberries (Superfood) Ideal for adding sweetness to something like a smoothie or porridge.

G

Peppers (Superfood) 
Mung Beans (Superfood)
Cucumber (Superfood)

H

Bean Sprouts (Superfood)
Herb Slaw (Superfood) Herbs are their own important topic. I am able to buy a bag of pre blended herbs for my salads. Please read below.

"Jody Fleiming says:
June 2, 2018 at 8:21 pm
My husband will be 85 years old next month and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 16 months ago. his main symptom were and rigidity or stiffness of his right-hand side.he also had some difficulty writing. The original diagnosis was confirmed three months later by a second neurologist. He was on one tablet of pramipexole (Sifrol), 0.25 mg three times a day. Four months ago his neurologist added Biperiden, 2 mg. he takes half a tablet of Biperiden three times a day. He still didn’t feel any better, Since the original diagnosis, his stiffness has slowly increased. He lost touch with reality suspecting it was the medication I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started him on PD natural herbal formula we ordered from NATURAL HERBAL GARDENS, I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in Canada and they all gave a positive response, his symptoms totally declined over a 7 weeks use of the Natural Herbal Gardens Parkinson’s disease natural herbal formula. He is now almost 85 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed! (Visit their website www.naturalherbalgardens.com) I am thankful to nature, herbs are truly gift from God. Share with friends!!

I

Bread (NOT a Superfood) I give bread a hard time for many reasons. I feel it is a lazy nutritional item that has little to no value. However let's be objective. Check out this write up from webmd.com. If you are going to get bread, it must never be the white variety. Whole Wheat Bread would be the better selection.

Chicken Stock (Bone Broth would be a Superfood) I have run out of time this week to make a bone broth so I am going to use some Chicken Stock for gravy which is low fodmap. Gravy can be a very bad ingredient to add to a nutritious dinner because it can contain sugar, msg, and dehydrated nutrients which can cause you to become dehydrated. I make my own gravy so I can be sure of the quality. Build about 2 litres of gravy and then freeze it in 500 ml containers so that it is available when you need it.

In Summary

So this is just what I buy. I will build meal plans based on this and see how many meals this shop generates.

No comments:

Post a Comment